Ratfish Oil is derived from the liver of a little known group of shark relatives known as the Chimaeras (Chimaera Monstrosa Linnaeus; Common name: Ratfish or Rabbitfish – sometimes even mistakenly mixed up with the Ghost shark – Callorhinchus milii). Chimaera takes its name from the Greek chimera, a mythical monster with the head of a lion, body of a goat, and the tail of a dragon. It is the offspring of Echidna and Typhon.
There is very limited fishing for this species of fish, which are not a popular food source, although they are edible and their white meat is tasteful. However, following the removal of the liver, head, and all the innards, there is actually less than 10% left for use as a food source. A major reason for this is the size of the liver, which makes up a large proportion of the total mass of the fish.
The liver of the ratfish is very large, constituting approximately 60% of its total body weight, and contains an exceedingly high proportion of oil. The oil content is around 60%, but can in some instances be as high as 80% of the wet liver weight. The large oily liver plays an important role in the maintenance of neutral buoyancy.
Most fish oils are made up almost exclusively of omega-3 derivatives. This is not the case for Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil™, which contains a wide spectrum of naturally occurring fatty acids. This also prevents overdosing on any one class or type of fatty acids.
In addition, many fish oil supplements contain abnormally high levels of the essential fatty acid derivatives EPA and DHA, as a result of processing by very-high-temperature distillation. The result is an oil that is very different from the one found in nature. Is such fish oil natural?
Key Nutritional Features:
- Wild & Raw Nutrients
- Rich & Unique Nutrient Profile
- Wide Spectrum of Naturally Occurring Fatty Acids, including Omega-3, Omega-4, Omega-6, Omega-7, Omega-9 and Omega-11 fatty acids
- Rich in Fat-Soluble Vitamins & Phytosterols
- Rich in Biologically Active Alkylglycerols
- Naturally Occurring Antioxidants
- Low Ratio of Vitamin A to Vitamin D
- Ancient Remedy used by the Vikings
What Makes ROSITA Ratfish Liver Oil So Special?
Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil is handmade in small batches from the finest-quality wild liver, exclusively harvested from the unpolluted waters of the Norwegian Helgeland Fjords. The process of extraction is UNIQUE and based on age old principles. No other company on this PLANET is aware of our remarkably natural and ancient extraction technique. No chemicals, heat, steam, or mechanical pressure are ever used in production.
Metal is NEVER used to manipulate the livers for fear of metal-induced lipid oxidation.
Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil is the REAL OIL contained in the liver cells of fresh liver: straw colored and without an unpleasant odor and flavor. The oil maintains exactly the same form and nutritional composition that nature gave it, without being altered in any way.
The time-consuming ancient methods used to produce our handcrafted oils, and their limited production volume, makes our production very specialised.
Rosita pride themselves on the careful and obsessive attention to detail that goes into creating the highest quality handcrafted Ratfish Liver Oils, and believe me is no other company like them that takes so much pride.
Harvesting & Production
The ratfish are exclusively harvested from the wild environment by local artisanal fishermen, from the protected, remote, and pristine waters of the spectacular Norwegian Helgeland Fjords. The special natural environmental conditions that prevail in this beautiful and unspoilt area influence to a great extent the quality of Ratfish Liver Oil.
Harvesting is limited to special times of the year, when the fish flourish and produce beautiful livers. No commercial fishing boats are used to harvest the fish, only small open boats. Once harvested, the fish are handled very carefully and protected from exposure to high temperatures, ensuring we receive them as fresh as the moment the fishermen pulled them from the crystal clear and purest waters.
The best quality livers, from fish falling within a specific weight range, are carefully removed by hand soon after the fish are caught, and the oil promptly extracted to capture the maximum freshness of the liver and its legendary health benefits.
The extraction process is unique and completely natural based on age-old principles. Extremely low temperatures are maintained throughout the extraction process, and NO heat, chemicals or mechanical devices are ever used.
Immediately following extraction, the oil is very lightly filtered, and promptly stored in airtight dark glass containers at a low temperature and in a light controlled environment.
The whole production process, from harvesting the fish to bottling the oil, is carried out by us. This guarantees the highest quality handcrafted oil possible.
Storing Your Oil
Rosita guarantees that your bottle of Ratfish Liver Oil will be fresh upon purchase, because we bottle our oil in very small batches.
- An initial dose of 10-12 drops twice a day for a period of 6 weeks, followed by a maintenance dose of 8-10 drops daily. The oil can also be used topically for wounds or as a very special and unique ancient skin elixir.
- Consult with your physician before using doses substantially higher than recommended, or taking this product if you are pregnant or lactating, diabetic, allergic to fish or iodine, using blood thinners, anticipate surgery, have a diagnosed cardiovascular condition, bleeding or immune system disorder. Keep out of reach of children.
- If you or your child has never consumed fish or fish oil, or if you suspect a food allergy, consult your doctor prior to using a fish body oil/fish liver oil product. As an additional insurance, you could also rub a small amount of Rosita Ratfish Liver Oil™ into a small area on the skin, such as the lower leg.
- 10ml (50ml bottles coming soon)